Last item for navigation
City Attorney's Office

The City Attorney’s Office represents the City in its day-to-day operations and provides legal advice to the Mayor, City Council, Administration, and boards and commissions that make up the municipal government of the City of Auburn. The City Attorney’s Office does not provide legal advice to residents of Auburn or members of the general public.  

The department has four divisions:  Civil, Prosecution, City Clerk's Office, and Real Estate division.

Civil Division
The Civil Division is responsible for providing legal counsel and representation to the City's elected and appointed officials.  Its duties include:

  • Preparing legislation
  • Drafting and reviewing legal documents
  • Representing the City in litigation

The civil division can be reached at 253-804-3108.        

Prosecution Division
The Prosecution Division is responsible for the prosecution of criminal misdemeanors, traffic infractions, and code enforcement violations filed in the King County District Court - South Division, Auburn Facility

The Prosecution Division represents the interests of the public as a whole and does not represent individuals.  The attorneys and staff employed by the office are prohibited from providing any legal advice to private individuals.

The Prosecution Division can be reached at 253-931-3030 or by email at [email protected].

Real Estate Division
The Real Estate manager can be reached at 253-288-4325 or by email at [email protected].

Frequently Asked Questions

How do I contact the King County District Court in Auburn?

The King County District Court in Auburn can be reached at 206-477-0479.

How do I contact my public defender?
The City contracts with the Law Offices of Cayce and Grove for public defender services.  If you are a defendant on a criminal case would like to see if you qualify to have the public defender appointed to represent you, please submit this Public Defender Screening Form. If you have already been appointed a public defender, you will be redirected by our office to speak with your appointed attorney at:

Law Office of Cayce and Grove
22443 SE 240th St, Suite 101
Maple Valley, WA 98038
Phone: 425-255-2241
Fax: 425-277-5060
Email: [email protected]

How can I contact a domestic violence victim advocate?

The City Attorney’s Office has a domestic violence paralegal who coordinates criminal case-related issues with victims. The paralegal can be reached at 253-931-3072 or by email

The City Attorney’s office does not have a domestic violence victim advocate. However, the City does contract with non-profit agencies Consejo, DAWN, and the YWCA to provide some domestic violence advocate services. You may contact them:

Consejo Counseling and Referral Service


206-375-1078 (community advocate)
206-461-4882 (emergency shelter program)

Additional Resources:

DVHopeline is a free, safe, and confidential domestic violence helpline in King County for people from all communities, of any age and gender.  Interpreters available in over 200 languages. 
Open 24 hours a day, every day of the year.
Phone: 206-737-0242
Toll Free: 877-737-0242
Online Chat & Resources:

How can I request discovery?
If you are represented by an attorney, please contact your attorney directly.  If you are not represented by an attorney, you can request discovery by filling out one of the request forms below and returning it by mail to:

City Attorney's Office
Prosecution Division
25 W. Main St.
Auburn, WA 98001-4988

You can also fax the request to:  253-931-4007

Request for Discovery - criminal case (PDF)
Request for Discovery - traffic infraction (PDF)
What do I do if I received a subpoena?
If you received a subpoena, please call 253-931-3030 to speak with a legal assistant. 
Will I be notified if a defendant is released from jail?
You may register to be notified of an offender's release from custody by using VINELink